Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] build error in initdb on win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] build error in initdb on win32
Date: 2004-10-10 20:07:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> The underlying problem is still there, though. initdb is pulling all
> these symbols in from libpq.dll, which is clearly the wrong place to get
> them... Or are they supposed to be available? If so, they should be
> added to the official API, no?

"Used by our own code" does not equate to "should be part of the
official API".

> (The problem occured when I tried to fix the problem "fix MinGW libpq to
> export only required symbols". I have a patch that fixes this problem,
> but causes these others instead)

You'd better back off a little on what you're removing. Or forget the
whole thing; I don't really agree that the above is a bug. libpq has
always had rather more visible symbols than are in the official API,
and there are probably people using some of them.