Re: BUG #5876: Incorrectly reported column value

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dag Lem" <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5876: Incorrectly reported column value
Date: 2011-02-11 03:28:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Dag Lem" <dag(at)nimrod(dot)no> writes:
> The effect of this (pretty serious) bug is that I am able to insert a value
> into an integer column and consistently get an entirely different value read
> out later.

> Unfortunately this happens on a large data set (3.6M rows), and I am not
> able to either reproduce with a smaller data set nor provide the data
> set.

Maybe you can duplicate the problem with a synthesized or anonymized
data set?  It's unlikely anybody will spend much time on such a vague
report as this.

> I should mention that I got another problem with the same data set on
> PostgreSQL 9.0.2, IIRC "unrecognized rbtree node state: 87" (not 100% sure
> about the state number since I immediately upgraded to 9.0.3 and got the
> present bug instead).

Not the same query, surely?  AFAIR the rbtree code is only used in GIN
indexes at the moment, so this would presumably be related to an update
of that GIN index.  But again, it's hard to expect somebody to go
looking for this without a more definite way of producing the problem.