Re: compiling on debian does not find a valid PostgreSQL 8.4+ installati

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compiling on debian does not find a valid PostgreSQL 8.4+ installati
Date: 2011-08-24 10:08:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:19 +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
> thanks for spending your time on this topic. I was really missing both
> packages postgresql-server-dev-{8.4,9.0}, but even after installing
> them, I still get the same error:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgadmin3-1.14
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for string.h... yes
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking for strings.h... yes
> checking for inttypes.h... yes
> checking for stdint.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes
> checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes
> checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
> checking netdb.h usability... yes
> checking netdb.h presence... yes
> checking for netdb.h... yes
> checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
> checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
> checking for netinet/in.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
> checking for _Bool... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> checking for size_t... yes
> checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
> checking for working strtod... yes
> checking for gethostbyname... yes
> checking for inet_ntoa... yes
> checking for memmove... yes
> checking for memset... yes
> checking for strchr... yes
> checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... no
> checking for krb5_sendauth in -lkrb5... yes
> checking for PQexec in -lpq... no
> checking for PQconninfoParse in -lpq... no
> checking for krb5_free_principal in -lpq... no
> checking libpq-fe.h usability... yes
> checking libpq-fe.h presence... yes
> checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
> checking PostgreSQL in /usr... failed
> configure: error: you must specify a valid PostgreSQL 8.4+ installation with --with-pgsql=DIR
>
> I read that you tried on debian 6, while I am compiling in unstable. I
> prefer unstable since current unstable will be the next stable realease,
> the first one that will ship with pgadmin 1.14.

So I moved to unstable (change /etc/apt/sources.list, then aptitude
update, aptitude full-upgrade).

No issues whatsoever.

I also installed postgresql-9.0, recloned the git, get the
REL-1_14_0_PATCHES branch, try with the 1.14RC1 package on
postgresql.org. Everything works out of the box with a simple
"./configure --prefix=/whatever" command.

I don't see what else I can do. There must be something weird on your
side.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info