On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 13:48 +0200, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> last night I did a big chunk of the german translation of the pgAdmin 3 strings.
> There was a repetitive pattern of:
> <x> dependencies
> <x> dependencies report
> <x> dependents
> <x> dependents report
> <x> properties
> <x> properties report
> and for some of those additionally sth. called "listen report"
> as <x> was taken from a big set, it gave a lot of strings to
> translate, in a boring way with carpal tunnel risks as of the
> interface of poedit.
> I would love if we could find a way to have those usages separated, as in
> string constant 1 = <x>
> string constant 2 = "dependencies"
> string constant 3 = "dependencies report"
> which would reduce the number of strings to translate dramatically.
> And, even if one <x> is not translated, as <x> is usually something
> within the database, the technical adapt user of pgAdmin should be
> able to figure that out. (in constrast of the fuzzy translations
> poedit is suggesting)
Actually, we went from what you are suggesting to what we have now.
Doing as you suggest makes the translation look like crap in many
languages (french for one). Now, if you can find a way to do it, without
having crappy translations, sure, that's great, I would welcome that.
But there's good chance you can't do it. Actually, even in the gettext
manual, they ask developers to do the way we have now.
In response to
pgadmin-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Vinicius Santos||Date: 2011-08-21 21:14:14|
|Subject: Re: Refresh objects on Click|
|Previous:||From: Harald Armin Massa||Date: 2011-08-21 11:48:08|
|Subject: repetitive string patterns in pgadmin|