Re: Copy/Paste table(s) functions - git context patch

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Vladimir Kokovic <vladimir(dot)kokovic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Copy/Paste table(s) functions - git context patch
Date: 2011-08-06 13:40:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 15:33 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 06:01 +0200, Vladimir Kokovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Added a thread termination control in case of main frame OnClose.
> >
> > Ignore previous two patches !
> >

> Tried it. Don't like the big button, I would get rid of it.
>
> It behaves much better. I still don't get why you have a frmXXX if you
> don't show anything. Maybe a little UI would be good. Little but better
> than displaying messages in the status bar of frmMain.
>
> Still got one crash though. Let's say I copy a huge table or a schema
> with many tables or some big tables. I paste them on a schema. While the
> operation is ongoing (which is hard to know unless you keep a constant
> eye on the statusbar), you drop the connection to the database. It
> simply crash a few moment later. This shouldn't happen. If the thread
> can continue, it shouldn't crash pgAdmin3. If the thread crashes too,
> the whole operation should be rolled back (which isn't what happens
> right now, you still have the first few tables before disconnection).

Another one. Copy a list of tables, paste them. While doind so, stop
postgres. Result is an error message showing that it cannot copy the
table. Click OK. Restart postgres. Stop pgadmin. Shows a big message:
"Paste table(s) is active! Do you really want to quit?". AFAICT, it
shouldn't be active anymore since there was a disconnection. Unless it
tries for each table and the fact that I restarted postgres made him
happy and resume its work? which I cannot tell because of no UI showing
me current status.

Bottom line is: we really need to have a simple UI showing the list of
tables to paste, which status they are in, what is the connection
status, etc. It should not stop the user to work with the browser.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info