Postgres running but no postmaster.pid

From: "simon(dot)marshall" <simon(dot)marshall(at)metaswitch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres running but no postmaster.pid
Date: 2011-08-03 15:02:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi guys,

When I came to stop my postgres instance (in particular, a replication
database using postgres version 9.0.3 running on port 5442) today it failed
to stop because the postmaster.pid instance wasn't present, despite the
process still running (seen by running ps -eaf | grep post and noting that
the data directory was the same). There's nothing in /var/adm/messages to
suggest any catastrophic disk problems and there's plenty of space on the
drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stumped!

Thanks,
Simon