Re: WAL logging volume and CREATE TABLE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL logging volume and CREATE TABLE
Date: 2011-08-03 03:53:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of mar ago 02 22:46:55 -0400 2011:

> I have created a documentation patch to clarify this, and to mention
> CREATE TABLE AS which also has this optimization.

It doesn't seem particularly better to me.  How about something like

In minimal level, WAL-logging of some operations can be safely skipped,
which can make those operations much faster (see <blah>).  Operations on
which this optimization can be applied include:
<simplelist>
 <item>CREATE INDEX</item>
 <item>CLUSTER</item>
 <item>CREATE TABLE AS</item>
 <item>COPY, when tables that were created or truncated in the same
 transaction
</simplelist>

Minimal WAL does not contain enough information to reconstruct the data
from a base backup and the WAL logs, so either <literal>archive</> or
<literal>hot_standby</> level must be used to enable ...