Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
Date: 2010-01-29 22:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> What about anouncing in the 9.0 releasenotes that it will be removed in 9.1?

That seems quite useless.

I note that we've made such statements before and not followed through
on them; one that just came up again is that contrib/xml2 is a couple
releases past when it was said it'd be removed, and there is still no
prospect of it really dying in the near future.

The bottom line is that these sorts of changes take actual *work*,
and not a trivial amount of it.  No amount of blather in the
documentation will substitute for somebody doing the work.