Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alexey Kluykin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files
Date: 2011-07-15 22:38:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Alexey Kluykin's message of jue jul 14 09:18:15 -0400 2011:

> On Jul 14, 2011, at 4:38 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>

> >> On Jul14, 2011, at 01:38 , Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> This is happening because a check for total number of errors so far is happening only after coming across at least one non-recognized configuration option. What about adding one more check right after ParseConfigFile, so we can bail out early when overwhelmed with syntax errors? This would save a line in translation :).

Actually I think it would make sense to do it completely the other way
around: reset the number of errors to zero before starting to apply the
values. The rationale is that all the settings that made it past the
tokenisation are completely different lines for which the errors were
reported earlier.

> > I know I'd feel more comfortable if you (and Alexey, and Selena) gave it
> > another look :-)
>
> I have checked it here and don't see any more problems with it.

Thanks.