starting on functions (with little succes)

From: Odysseus <bart(dot)pietercil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: starting on functions (with little succes)
Date: 2011-07-06 16:01:40
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi List,

we are converting from another sql db and I need some assistance on an error
with this function:
create FUNCTION createNewClient(clientName varchar, coreURL varchar,
vs_ip varchar, vs_db varchar, vs_connstring varchar, vs_usr_pw varchar,
lifespanUnitLV int2, lifespan int2 DEFAULT null) RETURNS void
	AS $BODY$
declare
 aSerial uuid;
 lifeSpanUnitPK bigint;

begin
	if lifespanUnitLV <> 4 and lifespan is null then
		raise exception null_value_not_allowed using hint = 'Lifespan cannot be
null for a lifespanUnitLV different from 4';
	end if

	set aSerial = select newuuid();

	set lifeSpanUnitPK = select tbl_typelistvalues.pkid
						from tbl_typelistvalues
						join tbl_typelists on tbl_typelistvalues.fk_typelist =
tbl_typelists.pkid
						where listvalue = lifespanUnitLV AND typelistname =
'token_lifespan_units';
	if lifeSpanUnitPK is null then
		raise exception null_value_not_allowed using hint = 'Illegal value for
lifespanUnitLV';
	end if
	insert into
tbl_clients(vserver_userpw,vserver_ip,vserver_dbname,vserver_connectionstring,client_name,client_serial,client_core_url,token_lifespan,objptr_token_lifespan_unit)
	values
(vs_usr_pw,vs_ip,vs_db,vs_connstring,clientName,aSerial,coreURL,lifespan,lifeSpanUnitPtr);

exception
	when others then
		raise ;
end;
	$BODY$
	LANGUAGE sql
	CALLED ON NULL INPUT
	SECURITY INVOKER
	IMMUTABLE;

This is rejected by the parser with error:

Error : ERROR:  syntax error at or near "uuid"
LINE 5:  aSerial uuid;

I am  sure this is something basic that I am missing and sure would like to
get some guidance with this issue.

tia,

Bart

                 ^