Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)
Date: 2011-06-30 08:08:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 09:21 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I can change that class name, but when should  I do that, now or
> > later?
> > which name can be used?
>
> Now would be better - I prefer not to leave the tree in a state where
> we know major restructuring is required for too long. Name-wise, I'd
> call the module "hotdraw", and prefix the class naes with "hd".

+1

> >> Well, docs will be done at the end.
>
> End of what? If this is a milestone commit, then it presumably (I
> hope) encompasses some completed functionality - which really isn't
> complete until the docs are done. With the best will in the world,
> things left to the end of GSoC projects often don't get completed as
> planned, and I'd rather not see us end up with another cool, but
> undocumented feature.
>
> >> I actually still hope we'll have
> >> another documentation system for next release, so docs will have to be
> >> reviewed completely.
>
> Yeah, I meant to ask you about that. I'd like to get that patch in
> early this cycle, as I want to spend some time on the docs myself.

So do I.

> They're in dire need of an overhaul, and I'd rather not do it all in
> HTML. Yes, I am on a mission to sort out our crappy documentation.

Completely agree.

Could be the next thing I do. Last time we talked about it, I had done
some work on sphynx. IIRC, I had two main things to do:

 * try to build on Windows, and Mac
 * change the build chain so that it buils automatically the manual

Did I forgot something?

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info