Re: BUG #5647: COPY TO does not respect the [standard_conforming_strings] setting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Sahagian" <david(dot)sahagian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5647: COPY TO does not respect the [standard_conforming_strings] setting
Date: 2010-09-07 17:34:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"David Sahagian" <david(dot)sahagian(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> [standard_conforming_strings] setting

This is not a bug.  The COPY format is well defined and is not going to
be changed by standard_conforming_strings.

> I want to use the output file as input to psql, for another db whose
> [standard_conforming_strings] is also = on. The current behavior of COPY TO
> makes that impossible.

That's nonsense.  standard_conforming_strings won't affect the
interpretation of COPY data on either machine.  If we were to change it
as you suggest, then we *would* have a compatibility problem.