Patch file questions?

From: Casey Havenor <casey(at)myzip2it(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patch file questions?
Date: 2011-06-29 18:22:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I'm obviously new.   But making great progress in PostgreSQL with my new
application...

Setup:

I'm running on MAC.
Postgre 9.0.4
Virtual Machine with application dev in Linux.

Problem:

I like many other have come across the inherit issues.

I found the thread here about such issue...
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/FK-s-to-refer-to-rows-in-inheritance-child-td3287684.html

I grabbed the "fk_inheritance.v1.patch" file and have been trying to install
it for the last two hours.

Where am I suppose to put this file?
When it asks me for the file to patch what should I input?
What else am I missing?

Tore through Google looking for some example and everything I found or tried
didn't work?

Warmest regards,

Casey Havenor