Re: SYNONYMS (again)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Joshua D(dot) Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SYNONYMS (again)
Date: 2011-06-22 22:52:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Joshua D. Drake's message of mié jun 22 15:37:17 -0400 2011:
> Per:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-11/msg02043.php
>
> It seems we did come up with a use case in the procpid discussion. The
> ability to change the names of columns/databases etc, to handle the
> fixing of bad decision decisions during development over time.
>
> Thoughts?

Let's start with what was discussed and supported in that thread, that
is, databases.  It seems less clear that columns are widely believed to
be a good idea to have synonyms for.  Besides, synonyms for databases
should be reasonably simple to implement, which is not something I would
say for columns.