Re: redhat debug info

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: redhat debug info
Date: 2007-03-28 02:04:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> You download and install the postgresql-debuginfo RPM that exactly
>> matches your other postgresql RPM(s).

> I just downloaded 8.2.3 for RHWS 5 but did not see a debuginfo rpm.
> Also looked for them same for 7.4.16 but didn't find a debuginfo rpm on
> the postgresql download site either.

Hmm. Red Hat makes their debuginfo RPMs available in the normal course
of things (they're usually in a debug/ subdirectory of wherever you
find the RPMs) but I'm not sure whether Devrim et al have a policy about
whether to upload their debuginfo RPMs to the PG servers. They may feel
it's mostly a waste of bandwidth.

Anyway, the short answer is to download the source RPM and build it for
yourself ... most likely you want the source available anyway, if you're
going to be doing any debugging ...