Re: More link spam getting through to the lists

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Marc G(dot) Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More link spam getting through to the lists
Date: 2011-06-09 14:32:51
Lists: pgsql-www
Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue jun 09 07:14:24 -0400 2011:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 23:14, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
> >> This was posted by someone who was actually a subscriber to the list.
> >> And does have DKIM signatures from gmail - though I don't have the
> >> tools to verify them.
> >
> >> It indicates to me that either someone got their account(s) hacked and
> >> used to send it, or a spammer is sophisticated enough to create a
> >> gmail account and subscribed it to the list before they post.. Which
> >> seems quite advanced..
> >
> > Hard to tell which it is.  I believe we've seen these from a number of
> > different gmail accounts.  Do we have logs showing how long somebody's
> > been subscribed?  If they were recent subscribers I'd think the latter,
> > else more likely the former.
> No idea, unfortunately. Marc/Alvaro, do we have such a log?

I don't think so, no.  Majordomo doesn't seem to keep it.  I have one
for the spanish list, of course, but that's just the emails that
Majordomo sends me to notify of the subscription changes.  I somehow
doubt that Marc is going to keep them for all lists.

As far as this problem goes, anyway, I've sort of seen a similar problem
in the spanish list: some long-subscribed fellow seems to get
"something" in their Hotmail account (I've seen a couple from Gmail as
well, but Hotmail seems to be more frequently affected) and they start
sending link spam such as the above.

What I did in that case was to add a rule that sends to moderation all
emails with
This blocks all the bad ones coming from Hotmail, as well as some
legitimate Hotmail email.  (Fortunately we have very few active Hotmail
users anyway).

I have not looked into Gmail spam.  Clearly, marking all email from for moderation is not practical.