Re: PG 9.0 release timetable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date: 2010-05-31 15:08:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 31 May 2010 09:33, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>> We're currently at 4 weeks since last beta, with no new beta in sight.
>>
>> My understanding was beta 2 would be out on 7th June.  Is that changing?

> Yes, but Simon is correct in that 4-5 weeks between betas is a long time,

The reason it went like that is that (a) we had PGCon in there, and (b)
we had a set of security releases in there.  Asking for another beta
to have happened is pointless.  You might recall that I already *did*
ask that --- I wanted beta2 to happen concurrently with the security
releases --- and was turned down.

I find myself entirely unimpressed by proposals to make releases
according to some rigid schedule that takes no account of whether
packaging manpower is actually available.