Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-29 09:06:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On sön, 2011-05-29 at 00:04 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Many, many, many bug issues are not associated with a bug report
> submitted through the web interface. People mail stuff to pgsql-bugs
> manually, or issues turn up in threads on other lists. If a tracker
> can only find things submitted through the web interface, that is not
> going to lead to everyone filing bugs that way; it's going to lead to
> the tracker being ignored as useless.

I think this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I think there are
lots of hackers and users who will sign up for any reasonable bug
tracker as soon as it's introduced. If you want a better treatment for
your bug, send it to the tracker, if you want the old-style treatment,
send it somewhere else.

That doesn't mean that better integration cannot be worked on later, but
this illusion that a bug tracker must have magical total awareness of
the entire flow of information in the project from day one is an
illusion and has blocked this business for too long IMO.