Re: do we need to postpone beta4?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: do we need to postpone beta4?
Date: 2010-07-27 20:09:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, that's pretty much saying we won't release before September.

Yup, that's what I think. In fact I think September might be
optimistic. This is what happens when you fork early and allow
developers to start focusing on new development instead of testing
the release branch.

> Which is kind of a bummer, but I guess that's what happens when we get
> into vacation season.

Yes. If we were at full strength maybe August would be make-able, but
there are too many people on vacation right now, and way too many
distractions to boot.

In any case, now that 9.0 is branched there is not any
project-scheduling reason why the final release needs to happen any
particular time. I think we need to fall back on our traditional mantra
"we'll release it when it's ready" rather than fret about whether it's
August or September or whatever.