Re: Installation questions

From: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
To: Joe <joc(at)amerifloodsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: spug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation questions
Date: 2011-05-10 22:19:09
Lists: spug
Hi Joe,

First of all, great to see some activity in the area. :)

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 17:50 -0400, Joe wrote:
> I have installed PostgreSQL, along with PostGIS, on my system.  However,
> whenever I try to connect to the PostgreSQL Server, not running as a
> localhost, I get the message:
>
> could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is
> the server running on host "192.168.1.13" and accepting TCP/IP
> connections on port 5432?

This sounds like Postgres is either not running, or there's a firewall
on your server that's actively rejecting connections on the port.

I would guess the former, as I'd assume a firewall would always block
connections on port 5432 and you'd never see the next error message, but
it's still a possibility.

> FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "192.168.1.8", user "postgres",
> database "postgres", SSL off

Have you made any changes to your pg_hba.conf file?  It sounds like
there's just not an entry in it for the local network.  You'll likely
want to drop a line into the file that looks similar to:

# Connections from the local LAN
host    all             all             192.168.1.0/24            md5

... assuming you want to allow connections from that address range,
adjust as necessary.

Trigger a reload or restart of Postgres, and that should let you in.
What version of Postgres are you running?  And in what environment?

-- Josh