Re: pg_upgrade's bindir options could be optional

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade's bindir options could be optional
Date: 2011-05-07 00:54:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie may 06 17:11:35 -0300 2011:

> As an example, the proposed defaults would be not only wrong, but
> disastrous in the perfectly-reasonable situation where the user has
> moved the old installation aside and then installed the new executables
> in the same place the old ones used to be. My current RPM packaging of
> pg_upgrade would be at risk for the same reason.

Eh, disastrous? Don't we check the versions reported by each
postmaster before attempting to do anything? Because if we do, the
worst that would happen is that the user gets a version mismatch error.
And if we don't ... well, we should.