Re: GIN index not used

From: Mark <Marek(dot)Balgar(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GIN index not used
Date: 2011-04-29 17:04:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Alban thank for your ideas
> It probably is, the default Postgres settings are quite modest and GIN
> indexes are memory hungry.
> I think you need to increase shared_buffers. With 2.5GB of memory (such a
> strange number) the docs > suggest about 250MB.
> See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-resource.html
> for details.
Well I did not mentioned that it all runs on Virtual Machine so thats why
2.5GB. I could not assigned more.
Today I have tried the VM machine on PC where I assigned 9GB of memory to
this VM. There I set the shared_buffers on 900MB, but there was not any
improvement.

> What version of Postgres is this?
I use 9.0 and I also tried Vacuum FULL, but it did not help.
It is very strange. I have tried everythink, but nothing helped :-(
Any other ideas?