Re: fixing INT64_FORMAT warnings on Mingw

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing INT64_FORMAT warnings on Mingw
Date: 2011-04-27 13:00:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 00:01 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Both "%lld" and "%I64d" can be used with mingw to print 64 bit integers.
> However, modern versions of gcc spit warnings with the former, and not
> the latter. However, since "%lld" works, it is chosen by our config
> setup since it comes first in the list of formats tried. Therefore, to
> keep the compiler happy I proposed to rearrange that so that "%I64d" is
> preferred if it's found to work.

We should prefer the standard syntax (%lld) over nonstandard ways.
There could just as well be platforms that accept %I64d but warn about
it (as being nonstandard).

If that doesn't work for a specific platform, either adjust the test so
that it checks for warnings, or just manually override the result in
pg_config_os.h.