Re: offline consistency check and info on attributes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: offline consistency check and info on attributes
Date: 2011-04-27 03:36:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tomas Vondra's message of mar abr 26 17:39:19 -0300 2011:
> Dne 25.4.2011 18:16, Alvaro Herrera napsal(a):

> > This reminds me -- we need to have pg_filedump be able to dump the
> > relmapper stuff. I was going to write a patch for it but then I forgot.
>
> Was this a polite question whether I volunteer to write that patch? ;-)
>
> I've never used pg_filedump and I'm not quite sure what exactly is
> needed, but it seem simple enough to do it. OK, I know the iceberg that
> sank Titanic seemed small too ...

Err, no, sorry if you thought it was. If you still want to volunteer
I'm sure it'd be more than welcome.

> I think I'll move the integrity check to the db, so that it's possible
> to check the column lengths etc. (pageinspect seems like a good module
> to mutilate in this direction) but I still believe it'd be useful to
> have an offline tool for basic checks. Would pg_filedump be a resonable
> tool to do that?

No, I don't think pg_filedump is a good host for such checks. If we're
going to have a tool to do that it'd be better to be able to include it in
core (or at least contrib), and we can't have pg_filedump in there for
licensing reasons.