Basic configuration advices

From: VizjereX <szajek+pg(at)programa(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Basic configuration advices
Date: 2011-04-26 09:13:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello!
We are using PostgreSQL as a data storage for C++ application. We are using
full-text search within Postgre and trying to reduce search time. I am a
novice in configuring Postgre and wanna ask you for help.

We've got single server with 24GB RAM (approx. 8GB for PostgreSQL, rest for
our another applications) and standard configuration, trying only to change:

shared_buffers = 24MB
temp_buffers = 8MB

May I ask you for some advices in configuration? Search using indexes is OK,
but fulltext is soooo sloooooowwwww...