Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, andrew <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, cbbrowne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, greg <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)
Date: 2011-04-21 21:49:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tor, 2011-04-21 at 13:39 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Better that someone should just focus on whipping Robert's (or was it
> > Greg's?) replace-the-missing-casts package into shape as an extension.
>
> I think Peter originated that, actually. My recollection is that there
> didn't seem to be any way to extend it to a complete solution, and
> besides which it's really a crutch to avoid fixing bugs in your
> application. Still, if someone does want to expend more work on it
> I wouldn't object.

http://petereisentraut.blogspot.com/2008/03/readding-implicit-casts-in-postgresql.html

There are some problems if you just add *all* the casts back without
thinking. In particular, the || appears to be causing problems.

But other than those few specific cases, that tool kit fixes all known
problems. So anyone who is willing to spend more than zero minutes on
planning and executing a major version upgrade shouldn't really have any
problems with this aspect.