Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date: 2008-02-28 00:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> I am working on a patch to support this format (yes, it is a simple
>> modification).

> I'd suggest writing a formatting function for UUIDs instead.

That seems like overkill, if not outright encouragement of people to
come up with yet other nonstandard formats for UUIDs.

I think the question we have to answer is whether we want to be
complicit in the spreading of a nonstandard UUID format.  Even if
we answer "yes" for this HP case, it doesn't follow that we should
create a mechanism for anybody to do anything with 'em.  That way
lies the madness people already have to cope with for datetime
data :-(