Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-27 21:30:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, good point about pg_shadow. They don't have databases. How do we
> get multiple pg_class tables in the same directory? Is the
> pg_class.relversion file a number like 1,2,3,4, or does it come out of
> some global counter like oid. If so, we could put them in the same
> directory.

I think we could get away with insisting that each database store its
pg_class and friends in a separate tablespace (physically distinct
directory) from any other database. That gets around the OID conflict.

It's still an open question whether OID+version is better than
unique-ID for naming files that belong to different versions of the
same relation. I can see arguments on both sides.