pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade and PGCLIENTENCODING
Date: 2011-03-30 17:41:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pg_upgrade complains if any of the libpq connection variables are set.
That's probably reasonable by default, but it seems to me that we ought
to allow keeping PGCLIENTENCODING set, otherwise various values and
error messages that are coming from the servers will not be in the
encoding appropriate for the terminal.