Re: foreign data wrappers

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Zheng Yang <zhengyang4k(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-students <pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: foreign data wrappers
Date: 2011-03-24 16:49:02
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-students
Excerpts from Zheng Yang's message of jue mar 24 05:49:19 -0300 2011:

> I am quite new to postgresql, but slowly picking up :)  In general context, storing images directly inside DBMS fields as BLOBs was not considered as a good practice.
> However, storing file directories  or links may cause inconsistency. So I am quite interested in how this datalink concept can be implemented!

I'm not really sure how different would be handling the file linking in
an FDW.  For example, if a transaction runs that deletes a file through
the FDW, and the transaction rolls back, how are you going to restore
the file to life?

(It sounds like you're trying to have a FDW that would present a
directory as a table, and each file in the dir as a row.  Maybe it's not
a bad idea but it needs a lot more thought.)