Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 RPM repository
Date: 2011-03-15 12:35:10
Lists: pgsql-www
On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 08:02 -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> I noticed today that although the PGDG repository indicates that
> Fedora  11 is supported (, it seems to only
> have  PostgreSQL 9.0 Alpha4 RPM's are available in it.
> Was this intentional?

Well, yes. The master RPM buildfarm served us for about 3 years, and it
died. Then, I switched to a new server, and I had to drop Fedora < 10.
The downside was that the machine belonged to my previous employer, and
now we don't have an active RPM buildfarm...

Actually I have all virtual machines, and it is connected to a new
really powerful machine at home. I just don't have time nowadays to
update some packages. Probably in next minor release round. That day is
also the day that we will start using new URL

>  If FC11 and earlier aren't supported not having
> the "latest" stuff might make sense..but to say that they are
> supported  but have an Alpha version of the software might lead people
> to  (erroneously) installing an unstable version of PostgreSQL on
> their systems.

OTOH, Fedora 7+ is still supported in SVN. You can build your own
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB:
Community:,  Twitter: