Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns
Date: 2010-06-26 11:54:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Jun 22, 5:36 pm, onur(dot)ogu(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com (Onur GUZEL) wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Please don't. This would take far more work than it is worth, and
> > there are a ton of ways it can go wrong. The likelihood of me
> > accepting a patch for post-creation rearrangement of columns is
> > extremely low.
>
> > Pre-creation, is absolutely fine.
>
> Post-creation becomes out of scope now. I guess after your suggestion i
> will just add the functionality of reordering and changing columns on
> pre-creation. I just dont want to make a mistake by adding an unneeded
> functionality for pgadmin so thanks for your suggestions.

I do understand the wish to be able to reorder columns in existing
tables. I tried to cook something up myself a couple of years back.
See the thread on pgsql.admin and what core developers think about it.
http://groups.google.at/group/pgsql.admin/browse_thread/thread/528533d669518626

As Magnus said, if we have reliable dependency tracking, we could
identify simple cases and reorder. In all other cases just deny the
attempt.

Regards
Erwin