Re: .oO - Translation

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .oO - Translation
Date: 2011-03-01 19:25:53
Lists: pgsql-www

Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mar mar 01 14:17:30 -0300 2011:

> > think it's fairly likely that we'd get partial, out-of-date translations
> > anyway, but we don't actually have any history here to speak of.
>
> s/fairly likely/absolutely guaranteed/
>
> We don't even have the resources to keep up with *moderation* all the
> time. We don't have anywhere near the resources to do near-real-time
> translation.
>
> And IMNSHO, an out-of-date translation is *way* worse than no
> translation at all.

What do you call an out-of-date translation? If Dave Fetter submits PWN
today, is the site displayed completely in english tomorrow because we
couldn't find a translator?

Debian handles this nicely: if the original is newer than the
translation, they just display it in english and tell you that there's
an outdated translation which you may want to check.

To be honest I had been hoping this feature was going to be available on
the new site. At least that's what I told the people in Cuba: there is
no need to translate the site right now because we're going to migrate,
so lets hold off until the new site is deployed. Oh well :-(

I guess we'll have to concentrate our efforts in the postgresql.org.es
site.