Re: Dropped index on table preventing rule creation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dropped index on table preventing rule creation
Date: 2011-09-13 21:31:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Sep 10, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> (IOW, rather than "fix" this I'd prefer to rip out the code altogether.
>> But maybe we should wait a couple more years for that.)

> IIRC, it's not dead code. I think you can still generate such a dump if you use CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW to manufacture a pair of mutually recursive views.

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that. In general that's pg_dump's
strategy for breaking a circular dependency loop that involves a view.

> Now we should probably disallow that, but we currently don't.

Losing that particular case isn't problematic, but I'm not sure that
that's the only possible circularity involving a view. One idea that
comes to mind is

create table foo (list-of-columns);

create function foofunc () returns setof foo as ...;

create rule .... as select * from foofunc();

This only saves somebody from citing the list of column types twice,
so maybe we could blow off this case too; but who's to say there are
not more-useful cases that would create circularities?