Re: criticism about hosting download packages

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: criticism about hosting download packages
Date: 2011-02-25 09:45:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 10:23 +0100, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:

> Fishing for customers is illegal in Germany. You will find it in our
> unfair competition law.

Susanne, choose your words more carefully, and take a breath before
sending email.

> I think the discussion came up - because we have to deal here with
> culture differences - between some European countries and US / UK.

Nope. It is not culture, etc. I still am not sure that you are really
looking at the page. Download starts in 5 seconds automatically. What
else are you expecting?

Talk is cheap. Please show us the *Community* PostgreSQL Installer which
has at least the current quality *and* which works on various platforms
*and* which go under a heavy QA process *and* which is free.

If you do this, I'll be more than happy to remove EDB link from our
website as a website committer, and give the link to the new installer
-- assuming that they will be distributed from postgresql.org, nowhere
else.

I'm a packager, and I really dislike the attitude towards
people/companies who are spending too much time (more than you can think
of) on binary packages.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
http://www.gunduz.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz