simple test code

From: java4dev <java4dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple test code
Date: 2011-02-22 17:24:09
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

new to Postgresql and have a problem.
I have been using Oracle and MySQL up to now and I was thinking to give
PostgreSQL a try.

I have opened a SQL console from the pgAdmin tool and tried to run the
following

DECLARE
 time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
 time2 TIMESTAMP(3);
 diff INTERVAL;
BEGIN
 time1 := now();
 diff := INTERVAL '30' second;
 time2 := time1 + diff;
 SELECT time1, time2;
END;

but I get an error that I cannot interpret

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "TIMESTAMP"
LINE 3:  time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
               ^

********** Error **********

ERROR: syntax error at or near "TIMESTAMP"
SQL state: 42601
Character: 17

I also tryed to add a label in the beginning

<<test>>
DECLARE
 time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
 time2 TIMESTAMP(3);
 diff INTERVAL;
BEGIN
 time1 := now();
 diff := INTERVAL '30' second;
 time2 := time1 + diff;
 SELECT time1, time2;
END;

but then I get

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "<<"
LINE 1: <<test>>
        ^

ERROR: syntax error at or near "<<"
SQL state: 42601
Character: 1

I guess I am doing something wrong but what?