Cannot *start* server because of a typo in pg_hba.conf

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Cannot *start* server because of a typo in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2011-02-20 12:17:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Yesterday I spent about half an hour to dig an issue on my laptop -- 9.0
instance did not start, and there were nothing in the logs. Eventually I
straced postmaster on start, and noticed an extra char in the
pg_hba.conf, which caused postmaster not to start.

Is it possible to drop something to (startup) log file and mention about
the syntax error in hba file?

(FWIW, I saw the same issue in a Greenplum 4.0.3 instance 2 months
before or so.)

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Next:From: Florian PflugDate: 2011-02-20 12:20:15