Re: From SQLite to Postgres

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From SQLite to Postgres
Date: 2011-02-16 18:42:29
Lists: pdxpug
On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 10:32 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > If you can't do that I would use Perl or Python to connect to the sqlite
> > database and move the data directly across to PostgreSQL.
>
> Josh,
>
>    Wouldn't a python script do the same thing as dumping from sqlite as a
> .sql file and restoring that to postgres? I'd still have to learn what
> changes need to be made.

Well Python DBAPI is going to have functions to call that will tell you
what the data types are so you don't actually have to figure it out. It
depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If this is a one off thing
then I would do it all by hand with vi/emacs (I would use joe, but I
think I am the last user on earth).

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor