Re: LOCK for non-tables

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOCK for non-tables
Date: 2011-01-15 11:29:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 12:19 +0100, Florian Pflug wrote:
> On Jan15, 2011, at 02:03 , Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> Me, too. But I don't agree with your particular choice of small
> >> syntax adjustment. Maybe we should just let the issue drop for now.
> >> Nobody's actually complained about this that I can recall; it's just a
> >> comment that's been sitting there in pg_dump for ages, and I was
> >> inspired to think of it again because of the SQL/MED work. I'm not
> >> sufficiently in love with this idea to walk through fire for it.
> >
> > Agreed. Once there's some pressing need for it, it'll be easier to make
> > the case that some amount of incompatibility is acceptable.
>
> Assuming that day will come eventually, should we deprecate the LOCK <table>
> shortcut now to ease the transition later? If people want that, I could go
> through the docs and add some appropriate warnings.

Sounds good to me.

I think we should have a section in the release notes on Deprecated
Features, noting that certain things will be removed later and should be
changed now and not relied upon in the future. A pending
incompatibilities list.

I would urge people to come up with a much wider list of "things we
don't like" so we can more easily avoid discussions like this in the
future. Forward planning helps make change easier.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/