RPMs and symlinks (was Re: [NOVICE] C++ library probs)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Leandro Fanzone <leandro(at)hasar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RPMs and symlinks (was Re: [NOVICE] C++ library probs)
Date: 2000-09-05 15:40:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Leandro Fanzone <leandro(at)hasar(dot)com> writes:
> --------------158FC9AA6F4DB960E871948D
> I have installed the libraries from RPM
> (postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm). I couldn't compile a project using
> the C++ library because in some config.h there's a line saying
> #include "os.h"
> that points to a link to a non-existent linux.h. Any ideas? I just
> commented the line and worked fine so far, but I don't like it a bit.

Hmm. Are you speaking of installed headers (stored in something like
/usr/local/include/pgsql/) or are you looking at a full Postgres
source-code tree?

In the source tree, os.h is a symlink made during the configure process,
but in the installed tree it ought to be a copy of the linked-to file.
At least that's how it's always worked for me.

I wonder whether this RPM was made with an "install" script that tries
to copy symlinks as symlinks rather than copying the underlying file.
If so, we need to change the install process to prevent that from
happening.

Lamar, Peter, any thoughts here?