Re: SSI and 2PC

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SSI and 2PC
Date: 2011-01-11 17:21:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 11:50 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I'm trying not to panic here, but I haven't looked at 2PC before
> yesterday and am just dipping into the code to support it, and time
> is short. Can anyone give me a pointer to anything I should read
> before I dig through the 2PC code, which might accelerate this?

I don't see much about 2PC outside of twophase.c.

Regarding the original post, I agree that we should have two
phase-commit support for SSI. We opted not to support it for
notifications, but there was a fairly reasonable argument why users
wouldn't value the combination of 2PC and NOTIFY.

I don't expect this to be a huge roadblock for the feature though. It
seems fairly contained. I haven't read the 2PC code either, but I don't
expect that you'll need to change the rest of your algorithm just to
support it.

Regards,
Jeff Davis