Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2011-01-02 07:48:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2010-12-28 at 12:33 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> (2) randomly different ordering of rows within a table. Your patch
> didn't address that, unless I misunderstood quite a bit.

This issue here is just comparing schemas, so that part is a separate
problem for someone else.

> I think the correct fix for (1) is to improve pg_dump's method for
> sorting objects. It's not that bad now, but it does have issues with
> random ordering of similarly-named objects. IIRC Peter Eisentraut
> proposed something for this last winter but it seemed a mite too ugly,
> and he got beaten down to just this:
>
> commit 1acc06a1f4ae752793d2199d8d462a6708c8acc2
> Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
> Date: Mon Feb 15 19:59:47 2010 +0000
>
> When sorting functions in pg_dump, break ties (same name) by
> number of arguments

Yes, that was addressing the same underlying problem. Frankly, I have
been thinking split files a lot before and since then. If the files
were appropriately named, it would remove a lot of problems compared to
diffing one even perfectly sorted big dump file.