Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either
Date: 2010-12-31 13:52:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tor, 2010-12-30 at 11:49 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> ISTM there are four things we might potentially want to state in the
> error message: the feature/operation you tried to apply, the name of
> the object you tried to apply it to, the type of that object, and the
> set of object types that the feature/operation will actually work for.

I think the latter should be completely omitted unless it's
exceptionally important.

You can construct pretty silly things down this line:

ERROR: permission denied for relation "x"
ERROR: relation "x" does not exist

vs.

ERROR: you only have permission on relation a, b, c
ERROR: only the following relations exist: a, b, c