Re: Sync Rep Design

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep Design
Date: 2010-12-31 01:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 16:47 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> >> synchronous replication for high performance applications. This feature
> >> is unique to PostgreSQL.
> >
> > that seems to be a bit too much marketing for a reference level document
>
> +1.

I've removed the "This feature is unique to PostgreSQL", which I agree
belongs in a press release, not docs. The explanation of a use case that
would benefit from the feature seems valid and I've left that in.

PostgreSQL docs are more technical and precise than any other DBMS, even
DB2. Having read everybody else's docs, I'm inclined to say it would be
easier to explain if I left out the details, as they do. You won't find
a detailed explanation of commit guarantees in MySQL docs, for example.

--
 Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/