Re: sepgsql contrib module

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sepgsql contrib module
Date: 2010-12-30 00:34:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 09:26 +0900, KaiGai Kohei wrote:

> > What happens if someone alters the configuration so that the sepgsql
> > plugin is no longer installed. Does the hidden data become visible?
> >
> Yes. If sepgsql plugin is uninstalled, the hidden data become visible.
> But no matter. Since only a person who is allowed to edit postgresql.conf
> can uninstall it, we cannot uninstall it in run-time.
> (An exception is loading a malicious module, but we will be able to
> hook this operation in the future version.)

IMHO all security labels should be invisible if the provider is not
installed correctly.

That at least prevents us from accidentally de-installing a module and
having top secret data be widely available.

If you have multiple providers configured, you need to be careful not to
allow a provider that incorrectly implements the plugin API, so that
prior plugins are no longer effective.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/