in PostgreSQL 9.0.2 / pgAdmin III - ERROR: relation "[table name]" already exists

From: thewhitelantern <thewhitelantern(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: in PostgreSQL 9.0.2 / pgAdmin III - ERROR: relation "[table name]" already exists
Date: 2010-12-25 15:10:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm a super noob, and based on the advice of friends, I chose the PostgreSQL
platform to install on my Mac 10.6.5 and I just bought a copy of Simply SQL.

The problem is, I've created a database in the graphical interface other
than the 'postgres' default database (for some reason, I was unable to do
this same thing in the command line interface for psql console, I think I've
followed the instructions, but neither here nor there)

I click on the "SQL" button at the top and it brings up the Query tool.

In chapter two of SIMPLY SQL, i'm just cutting and pasting / manually typing
in this code

/* Chapter 2: SELECT Overview */

/* Title and Category of Entries */

CREATE TABLE entries
(
id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
, title VARCHAR(99) NOT NULL
/* Note: use DATETIME if your database system does not support TIMESTAMP
*/
, created TIMESTAMP NOT NULL
, updated TIMESTAMP NULL
, category VARCHAR(37) NULL
, content TEXT NULL
);

INSERT INTO entries
( id , title , created , updated , category )
VALUES
(423 , 'What If I Get Sick and Die?' , '2008-12-30' , '2009-03-11' ,
'angst')
;
INSERT INTO entries
( id , title , created , updated , category )
VALUES
(524 , 'Uncle Karl and the Gasoline' , '2009-02-28' , NULL , 'humor')
;
INSERT INTO entries
( id , title , created , updated , category )
VALUES
(537 , 'Be Nice to Everybody' , '2009-03-02' , NULL , 'advice')
;
INSERT INTO entries
( id , title , created , updated , category )
VALUES
(573 , 'Hello Statue' , '2009-03-17' , NULL , 'humor')
;
INSERT INTO entries
( id , title , created , updated , category )
VALUES
(598 , 'The Size of Our Galaxy' , '2009-04-03' , NULL , 'science')
;

SELECT
title
, category
FROM
entries
;
/* Results should look like this --
title category
What If I Get Sick and Die? angst
Uncle Karl and the Gasoline humor
Be Nice to Everybody advice
Hello Statue humor
The Size of Our Galaxy science
*/
_____________________________________

THe first time I execute it, it does it's table, just like in the book.

However, I'm called to put a WHERE filter on the code at the end

WHERE
id = 524
;

THen when I try to execute it again, it gives this error message

ERROR: relation "entries" already exists

ERROR: relation "entries" already exists
SQL state: 42P07

Even when I try to Clear the History, delete the current document an make a
new one, or even try to do a DROP staement, I still get this same message.
The only way I can eliminate this message is if I delete the database in the
pgAdmin Object browser, recreate a new database and do it again, at which
point, it stops giving the error message, but only once.

So does this mean that I have to delete the database EVERY TIME I CHANGE THE
CODE?!?