Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date: 2002-09-26 21:32:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> I'm not really familiar with the reasoning behind ext2's reputation as
> recovering poorly from crashes; if we fsync a WAL record to disk
> before we lose power, can't we recover reliably, even with ext2?

Up to a point. We do assume that the filesystem won't lose checkpointed
(sync'd) writes to data files. To the extent that the filesystem is
vulnerable to corruption of its own metadata for a file (indirect blocks
or whatever ext2 uses), that's not a completely safe assumption.

We'd be happiest with a filesystem that journals its own metadata and
not the user data in the file(s). I dunno if there are any.

Hmm, maybe this is why Oracle likes doing their own filesystem on a raw
device...