Re: Anyone for SSDs?

From: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone for SSDs?
Date: 2010-12-11 04:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 18:07 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 12/10/10 5:06 PM, Daniel Loureiro wrote:
> > An quicksort method in
> > sequential disk its just awful to be thinking in a non SSD world, but
> > its possible in an SSD.
>
> So, code it.  Shouldn't be hard to write a demo comparison.  I don't
> believe that SSDs make quicksort-on-disk feasible, but would be happy to
> be proven wrong.

I too do not believe it in normal case. However, considering the 'types'
of SSDs, it may be feasible! Asking for 'the next page and getting it'
has a time delay in the process. While on a regular HDD with spindles,
the question is "where is that page located", with SSDs, the question
disappears, because the access time is uniform in case of SSDs. Also,
the access time is about 100 times fasterm which would change quite a
few things about the whole process.

I would like to do that (coding), but I do not have a SSD on my
machine! :( Would it be impractical to try it for me? Again I do not
know how to test PG :(

May be some of those I meet on the chat, and are into the enterprise may
do it, but I would like to be a part of it.

-Vaibhav (*_*)