Use for loop in stored procedure to join query results

From: rchowdhury <rchowdhury(at)alumni(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Use for loop in stored procedure to join query results
Date: 2010-11-30 17:17:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I have a table similar to the following:

id probe value
1 asdf 10
1 qwer 20
1 zxcv 30
2 asdf 40
2 qwer 50
2 zxcv 60

I would like to create a stored procedure or function that will make a view
with the data as follows:

1 2
asdf 10 40
qwer 20 50
zxcv 30 60

Does anyone know how to do this? I am attempting to make a stored procedure
that...
1. SELECT all distinct "id"s
2. FOR LOOP to iterate over each "id", SELECT probe, value WHERE
id=<current id>
3. JOIN resulting table to table from previous iteration of the FOR loop

Unfortunately, I am not sure if this is a good way to do this. And I am not
familiar with stored procedure syntax. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
RC