Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)

From: Csaba Nagy <ncslists(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Csaba Nagy <ncslists(at)googlemail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Loureiro <loureirorg(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)
Date: 2010-11-30 14:57:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Robert,

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 09:19 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> That's a very elegant hack, but not exactly obvious to a novice user
> or, say, me. So I think it'd be nicer to have the obvious syntax
> work.

I fully agree - but you first have to convince core hackers that this is
not just a foot-gun. This was discussed many times in the past, patches
were also offered (perhaps not complete one, but proving that there is
an itch getting scratched):

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2002-09/msg00255.php

The reaction:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2002-09/msg00256.php

There are other discussions too, if I remember correctly Tom once
admitted that the core of implementing the feature would likely consist
in letting it work, as the infrastructure is there to do it but it is
actively disabled. I can't find the mail now though.

So it is really an ideological thing and not lack of demand or
implementation attempts... I for myself can't write working C code
anyway, so I got my peace with the workaround - I wish you good luck
arguing Tom :-)

Cheers,
Csaba.